What's new in the eLibrary
- New for download in the eLibrary
- New in the Member Library
- Steel Construction journals
- New Technical Notes
- Featured Steel Excellence Award Winning Projects
- Event videos
New for download in the eLibraryBack to top Back to top
- Formulation and implementation of general thin-walled open-section, beam-column elements in opensees, 2016 - Rinchen, G.J. Hancock and K.J.R. Rasmussen, University of Sydney Civil Engineering Research Report R961
- Experiments on long-span cold-formed steel portal frames composed of double channels, 2016 - H. Bum and K.J.R. Rasmussen, University of Sydney Civil Engineering Research Report R962
- The Generalised Constrained Finite Strip Method for thin-walled, prismatic members under applied shear, 2016 – M. Rendall, G.J. Hancock and K.J.R. Rasmussen, University of Sydney Civil Engineering Research Report R 963
- Torsion equations for lateral buckling, 2016 - N. Trahair, University of Sydney Civil Engineering Research Report R 964
- Fact sheet: Advanced steel applications, 2014 - World Steel Association
New in the Member LibraryBack to top
Available to members - log in and click on the link to request these items.
- AISC 303-16 Code of standard practice for steel buildings and bridges, 2016 - American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC)
- Design guide for hot dip galvanizing - best practice for venting and draining, n.d. - Galvanizers Association of Australia (GAA)
- Recent trends in cold-formed steel construction, 2016 - Yu, C.
- Thermal bridging in light steel framing and modular construction, 2016 - Steel Construction Institute (SCI)/ Lawson, R.M., Way, A.G.J. and Sansom, M.R.
- Vertical bracing connections - Analysis and design, 2014 - American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC)/Muir, L.S. and Thornton, W.A.
- Vibrations of steel-framed structural systems due to human activity, 2016 - American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC)/Canadian Institute of Steel Construction (CISC)/Murray, T.M., Allen, D.E., Ungar, E.E. and Davis, D.B.
- Welding of metals: classification, brief history, development, 2016 - Pogrebisky, D.
- Experimental evaluation of design procedures for fillet welds to hollow structural sections, 2016 - J.A. Packer, M. Sun and K. Tousignant. In: ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 142, no. 5, 12 p.
- Experimental study of cold-formed steel floors made of hollow flange channel section joists under fire conditions, 2016 - V. Jatheeshan and M. Mahendran. In: ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 142, no. 2, 14 p.
- Flexural-torsional buckling resistance design of circular arches with elastic end restraints, 2016 - C. Dou and Y-L. Pi. In: ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 142, no. 2, 10 p.
- Life-cycle cost evaluation of conventional and corrosion-resistant steel for bridges, 2015 - M. Soliman and D.M. Frangopol. In: ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, vol. 20, no. 1, 5 p.
- Probabilistic fire analysis: material modes and evaluation of steel structural members, 2015 - N.E. Khorasani, P. Gardoni and M. Garlock. In: ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 141, no. 12, 15 p.
- Response of steel reduced beam section connections exposed to fire, 2016 - H. Mahmoud, B. Ellingwood, C. Turbert and M. Memari. In: ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 142, no. 1, 14 p.
For more library resources, search in the eLibrary.
Steel Construction journalsBack to top
New Technical NotesBack to top
- TN011 AS/NZS 5131 - Structural steelwork fabrication and erection - Implementation guide for engineers, specifiers and procurers (PDF) (83 Kb). Version 2, Dec 2016 - Peter Key
- TN012 Design of bolted angle cleat connections - A fabrication responsive solution (PDF) (587 Kb). Version 1, Feb 2015 - Peter Key
- TN013 Block shear connection design checks (PDF) (621 Kb). Version 1, Mar 2015 - Peter Key
Featured Steel Excellence Award Winning ProjectsBack to top
2014 Steel Design Award Winners
Technical case studies from the 2012 Steel Excellence Award winning projects
- City Square, Perth, WA The City Square development is Perth’s newest high-rise commercial office building, featuring 47 steel-framed floors and a public plaza. Employing the latest steel manufacturing technologies and a highly efficient scheduling and delivery system, the City Square project achieved a 6 day floor-to-floor construction cycle, with minimal material wastage and virtually no double-handling of elements
- CSU School of Dentistry, Wagga Wagga, NSW This combined teaching facility and public dental clinic utilises a unique double roof system, comprising of large scale open sided portal framed roofs which shelter light free standing steel framed component buildings. The simple repetitive structural and cladding system maximised prefabrication of building elements and construction efficiency, as well as driving the distinctive aesthetic of the building.
- Fitzgibbon Community Centre, Fitzgibbon Chase, QLD This centre for the new community of Fitzgibbon Chase utilises both the functional and aesthetic qualities of steel, from the structural frame to the distinctive weathering steel cladding, to create a building which is long-wearing and low-maintenance, but high-impact. The use of innovative steel products such as BlueScope Longline® roof panels allowed for a highly efficient and sustainable build.
- Killen Falls House, Northern NSW The owners of the Killen Falls House selected steel as the best material to fulfill their desire for a sustainable, low environmental impact home. Despite the complexities brought about by its curved form, the design was broken down into simple forms that allowed a very high degree of off-site prefabrication, which minimised labour costs and maximised construction efficiency.
- Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast, QLD The Metricon Stadium redevelopment was designed to achieve high levels of construction and cost efficiency, as well as providing flexibility for a removable extension if the Gold Coast consortia should win their Commonwealth Games bid. The redevelopment features a lightweight tension membrane roof, utilising optimised slender steel members with a benchmark weight of around 40kg per square metre.
- Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School, VIC The complex curvilinear form of the new senior educational precinct for Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School was reduced into a series of ruled surfaces to allow the building to be prefabricated and built from a series of simple straight steel components. The steelwork in this project was a feature as well as structure, being used innovatively in exposed applications.
- Rail Car Unloader, WA The rail car dumper’s purpose is to receive and unload iron ore railway wagons which pass through the central U-shaped cage two at a time. The rail car unloader was fabricated to special welding standards for high fatigue structures, requiring special techniques and procedures to be developed specifically for the project.
- Regattas, Adelaide, SA The elegant new building for Regattas Bistro was required to be an extremely lightweight structure, due to its location above three existing structures with limited load capacities. Without the steel-framed approach, it would have been necessary to structurally upgrade the existing structures or even demolish and rebuild them.
- West Gate Bridge Strengthening, VIC The iconic West Gate Bridge is one of the most important links in the national transportation network. Following the bridge collapses of the 1960s and 70s, dealing with the array of existing steel elements and limitations to access resulting from past modifications to the bridge required a high level of sophistication in design and detailing.
- Western Grandstand, Adelaide Oval, SA The Western Grandstand redevelopment entails an exceptionally light diagrid roof structure which uses curved steel sections to reach spans of up to 55 metres. The use of a diagrid for a stadium roof has rarely been undertaken in this way anywhere in the world, and never in Australia.
Event videosBack to top
View a selection of ASI presentations on Advances in CNC technology assisting steel fabrication , Compliance and Case studies on multilevel buildings