In this section
NSSCS for clients and Government
Achieving the quality benchmark
- Configure your procurement specifications to reference AS/NZS 5131
- Nominate third party certification of steelwork under the NSSCS
- Implement surveillance to ensure the intent of your procurement specifications has been actioned
The benefits for you
The benefits to clients and Government of the NSSCS include:
- Assurance that the steelwork contractor is competent as assessed by an expert process.
- Assurance that the tender offer is based on a like for like quality comparison and not compromised on quality, therefore minimising likely costly rework and remediation.
- Management of risk and your duty of care under the Workplace Health and Safety Act (Safe design of structures).
- Utilising a steelwork fabricator who has invested in training, apprenticeships, systems and capability over those who quote on price alone.
- Support development of a world class steelwork fabrication industry in Australia.
Various state Governments either use or are about to use third party steel and steelwork certification as a mechanism to meet the expected benchmark following a plethora of steel material and fabrication failures on recent projects supplied from overseas.